Friday, December 3, 2010

HAUNTING DOPPELGANGER-2

I had to tell someone; but whom would I tell? Would anyone believe me? I imagined telling Sri

“Sri, I have a twin. No…I actually had a twin, I came to know that only yesterday, I don’t know anything about her, I mean now I know a few things, she Knows everything about me…No..I mean…At least that is what I think…”

She would give me ‘you need a psychiatrist’ look .My mom was out of question and Dad??…Never Mind. I need to search for a solution all by myself, at least for now. I gathered up all my courage and went about my chores as usual. That was when I realized that the weather was chilly, chilly in summer!! ..

Have control Mani... you are imagining way too much. I decided to have a warm bath, relax and divert my mind. I went down to the hall to watch TV and realized that the hall was warmer. I knew I was imagining things, the weather was normal. After dinner, I went back to my room and again felt the chill in my room. As I started walking towards my bed, the air around me became chillier. I was afraid to sit on the bed, half expecting something to jump over me, and then I heard it. The sound of shallow breathing is it me...or is it….? I couldn’t sleep; I lay awake, fearing the worst in case I slept.

It was so warm… like I was lying down in a warm swimming pool, like a warm hug. I pulled my blanket closer to me. Then I realized, dream from reality, Blanket!!! I never took out my blanket; it was in my wardrobe, right from the day summer started. I sat up on my bed; I was indeed snuggled in the blanket. How did it come here? Did I drool off to sleep without my knowledge? Is this done by her? Is she trying to scare me, proving that she has breached the privacy of my room?

I was not the one to get scared easily…I tried to call out to her...What was her name..? Oh! I don’t even know her name... and what does she know about me? How much does she know and how does she know? I couldn’t sleep any more…I went up to the attic...I had seen mom hideaway a package there...Which came in with her death news. I opened the package there were documents and photos.

I flipped through the photos and saw a latest one. It was like glancing at my photo, but not aware of when or where it was taken. She was a mirror image, big eyes, broad forehead, long hair, and chubby. I instantly felt a connection with her. I never asked mom what caused her death. I should do that tomorrow. I saw a duplicate birth certificate, and there I found out her name...MOUNI



Mani, Mouni...Our names were also so similar. May be we would have gotten along very well? May be she would have filled that Void space in my life…which always had a yearning for somebody more than a friend. A smile played up on my lips, it would have been fun. The gossips, pranks and secrets that we would have shared together. May be I really missed something without ever knowing about it.

I was lost in my thoughts, when I again found that I was shivering, the room had become chilly, like the cold wind followed me from my room to the attic. I felt a disturbance in the wind, just beside me, as if somebody just settled down there. I knew she was there with me. Did she ever feel the connection? I sifted through the package and found a dairy at the bottom of the Package. I was a bundle of emotions at that instant… excited, nervous, and scared. I opened it and found her details in the first page. Her likes and dislikes were so similar to mine. There was a beautiful photo of her in the first page with an older couple. They must be her parents.

I was aware of the unrest in wind beside me…was she disturbed on seeing her parents...or was it because I am breaching her privacy. I continued going through the dairy, saw glimpses of her life through my eyes, her college, her friends, her secrets and fights. She loved her life and enjoyed it to the fullest. She was frank, practical and a no nonsense girl. I could see that she would make a wonderful friend and the worst enemy. How did she see me? Friend or foe? Lost in my thoughts, I flipped through the pages, without actually reading anything. I saw it then, written in dark,

I HATE YOU MANI.I LOATH YOU FROM THE CORE OF MY HEART.

The words were like a harsh slap on my face. I could feel the hatred with which she wrote. I was engulfed by sorrow and hurt…and slowly by the chilly wind, like it tried to cage me in it…forever. I saw the next line …

I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE, EVEN IF I HAVE TO COME BACK FROM DEAD



With each line the temperature of the room decreased. I could see my own breath in form of mist. I couldn’t bear the feeling. The wind seemed to choke me, crush me, and suffocate me. I couldn’t breathe properly. My head started spinning, I felt dizzy ….and fell down with a thud on the floor. I tried to move out of the attic, I couldn’t, somebody was holding me down, or was it just the wind? I couldn’t shout, all that came out my mouth were gasps for air and feeble incoherent sounds. The last thought in my mind was

DEATH WILL LAY ITS ICY HANDS ON YOU

The chill in my room…the cold wind suffocating me…. the darkness enveloping me… Is this what death feels like …Will there be a tomorrow for me??





Did I reach the end… my thoughts raced back to what was actually happening… “Why do you want to kill me” I tried to shout out with the feeblest of my voices…I struggled to stay alive. I saw them then, the pair of eyes…directly above me…blood shot eyes with dilated pupils.

I was instantly brought back to senses. Everything was back to normal .Was I having hallucinating?? Or was it real…?

I felt my neck… it burnt like hell… as if some rope was burnt onto it. I started running down to my room, I dared to glance back, that was when I actually saw her, standing at the top of steps.

Long hair strewn wild, blood shot eyes, pale white skin, floating few inches above the steps,… …... I knew what happened to me was NOT a dream… I wanted to shout. .. But my voice was stuck in my throat…



Keep Visting for more...

2 comments:

  1. hahah... I ve been reading your posts... they are real good... keep going... waiting for the next episode!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :)... Miss/MR. Anonymous. Please do leave your name next time :D

    ReplyDelete